We have some GREAT news to share: ODA now has a better vessel for our ocean defense mission!
It took quite a while to find the right one within our budget, but it was definitely worth the wait.
Once prepared, this used 50-foot Chris Craft boat will allow us to go further out to sea, stay out for multiple days, drastically reduce "down time" for maintenance, AND keep our divers safer. All of this translates into more sea life defended and cleaner oceans!
While the boat is mostly in excellent condition, there are some things that must be done to refit the vessel for ODA's specialized debris removal mission.
Can you join us this weekend (or any weekend soon) to help get the boat ready for saving lives and cleaning our precious ocean? If so, please email us now to let us know your availability! The boat is temporarily berthed in Wilmington, CA (just north of Long Beach).
Types of help we need:
- Boat/diesel mechanics
- Assistants to help the above!
- People willing to help with basic cleaning and manual labor
Some of the tasks we will complete together:
- Construct bench seating for ODA's dive crews, on the rear deck
- Need people to measure, cut, and connect the pieces together.
- Construct a new dive ladder out of aluminum, off the rear deck.
- We have a plan, but need a welder who can fabricate this.
- Install sound system.
- Need folks with an understanding of electronics to install the CD/radio in the helm area, as well as the PA system allowing the captain to communicate with the crew on the decks.
- Fabricate and install a dive air compressor.
- Need electrical capabilities as well as plumbing.
- Construct a new head (bathroom) on the rear deck.
- Need help removing the existing cabinet, installing the head, routing the plumbing, and building an enclosure.
- Construct a bench seat in the salon that can turn into 2 bunks for people to sleep on.
- Need volunteers to sand, varnish, and install it.
- Need someone to design and make the cushions.
- Build dive tank storage rack.
- Need help cutting the wood and installing it.
- Remove and replace one of the bilge pumps under the rear deck.
- Remove and replace faucets in both (2) heads.
- Inventory the galley.
- Need someone to write a list of existing supplies, and help make a list of what we will need.
Over the years, a great many people have asked me about volunteer opportunities with ODA that do not require SCUBA diving and/or at-sea time. This is the perfect chance for you to be involved and make a lasting contribution to ODA's important ocean defense mission.
We also know that many of you lead busy lives. So, if you can't make it but still want to support ODA's life-saving work, we would greatly appreciate your contribution towards preparing this boat for action.
In any case, thank you for your support. This vessel purchase was only made possible by the generous support of people like you.
Please email us to let us know that you would like to help!
Stay tuned for more updates!