A donor-advised fund (DAF) is a type of giving program, administered by a third party public charity (such as Fidelity Charitable or Schwab Charitable) , that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to easily support your favorite charities. DAFs are created for the purpose of managing charitable donations on behalf of an organization, family, or individual. An increasingly popular charitable vehicle, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals. DAFs allow donors to give cash, stock, and other assets—with the donor receiving an immediate tax deduction at the time of contribution is made, but can grant specified amounts to the charities of their choice at a later time.
How It Works
- Establish your DAF by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program (e.g., Fidelity Charitable, Schwab Charitable, and more).
- Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free).
- Recommend grants (i.e., donations) to qualified public charities of your choice.
Main Advantages of Donor-Advised Funds
Donor-advised funds provide a number of benefits that direct donations to a charity may not, including:
- Simplicity: The DAF sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility: Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax-efficiency: Contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock.
- Family legacy: A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- No start-up costs: There is no cost to establish a donor advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more).**
- No transaction fees: Once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to your qualified public charity of choice.**
- Privacy if desired: Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient.
** Sponsoring organizations generally assess an administrative fee on the assets in a DAF. These fees vary by sponsoring organization.
What Can Donor-Advised Funds Do for
Ocean Defenders Alliance?
DAFs provide an easy, flexible, low-cost method of giving which supports our work to defend and clean the oceans. Your generous gift can help "fuel us up" to keep our crews at sea, doing what we do best--removing dangerous man-made debris making the ocean a cleaner and safer place for marine wildlife to thrive.
Please make a donation via your Donor-Advised Fund today!